Friday we spoke to our potential birth mother-Amanda. She's 18 years old and graduated last year from High School. She's not going to college or working at this time. She does want to go to college and is hoping to enroll for Spring semester. I was so nervous talking to her. I know I probably kept rattling on and on. We did have a good conversation-we spoke for about 45 minutes.
After talking to her, my biggest concern is that she has not seen a doctor yet and she's 16 wks along or so-she thinks she's due middle of March. That was one of the conversations I had with the agency after speaking to Amanda. I mean, how can we say we'll proceed with adoption if we don't even know how the baby is doing. She doesn't have insurance, she's living with her parents who are still claiming her on their taxes so she can't qualify for government assistance. SO, now we have to figure out a way to get insurance for her. We've told her that we would pay for the 1st doctor's appt and in the mean time figure out what our options are for the rest of her health care.
I'm frustrated because to me it's easy to see that Amanda needs some guidance. I get that she messed up, but how can you let your daughter not go to the doctor when she's pregnant? I just don't get it.
Amanda has found a doctor and she has an appt scheduled for November 14th. PRAY, PRAY, PRAY!! She should be about 20 wks along and we should be able to find out the sex of the baby. Amanda asked if we wanted to know and I told we did, but if she didn't, we were okay with that. 3 wks seems like forever away, but then again, it's 3 wks closer to her due date!
These next 5 months will probably be the slowest time event ever! Remember when you were a kid and it seemed like the time between Thanksgiving and Christmas stood still? The worst part is that you want to plan for a baby--you need to plan for the baby. I just won't be able to. There's just no way that I'll be able to decorate a room-even if we do find out the sex-not knowing for sure if we'll actually be bringing this little one home.
I was telling a friend last night that I hate being negative--and I feel negative right now. Usually I'm so upbeat about life in general...we have had so many disappoints when it comes to bringing children in our lives. I just want it happen to me. Selfish to say, I know. But it's true.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
The REST of the story
Posted by Shannon at 8:56 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Shannon I love you so much. You continue to uplift me every time we interact, whether in person, by e-mail, and now with your blog. You know I indulge in a good "pity party" for myself now and again, but please don't minimize your joy and excitement with doubts. You can't know FOR SURE that everything will work out with this particular child, but you do know FOR SURE that God will not forsake you during any part of this process. I have missed experiencing many moments fully because of my self-preservation instincts. God doesn't mess with us, or tease us, or tempt us in any way. This doesn't mean everything will always work out the way we envision, but it does mean that he will always be here to take care of us. Let your joy be full in what God is doing in your life...pray for the heart and soul of the birth mother as well as that unborn child. You've experienced much heart-ache and I'm not minimizing that at all. You've given your life so fully to God, including this particular situation...try to enjoy the moments of joy relying on God to carry you.
Love you a bunch!
Laura
You are the queen of optimisim! If anyone one has any right to complain...you do! We love and adore you, I just know in my heart that this will work out! I am praying and already loving your baby. You 2 will be the best parents EVER! And this baby already has the BEST friend EVER!
I have already heard so much about you through Amanda and am excited that you have started a blog. I actually read your adoption profile a few months ago after receiving an email from Amanda. I will continue praying for your family and look forward to seeing how God will work in your situation.
Love always--
Katie
Oh my...I am getting so excited! Your hesitation is definitely warranted simply because we are human. But know that God has perfect timing! I know we have talked about that many times but know that His timing is perfect. His love for yall is perfect. And the family He is about to create for you will be to His perfect plan. I can't wait to meet this sweet little one and I have faith that God will lead you to him or her quickly, but in His perfect timing! The thought of seeing this precious darling for the first time send chills up my spine. I know that in going through this journey with you guys, we are going to love this special child just as if he/she were are own family. Heck, they will be our family! THANK YOU for starting a blog again. I can't wait to read on and on seeing how God is working a miracle in your life. In my Beth Moore study today, she said that every single instant where someone was childless, God worked a miracle in their lives. EVERY TIME! Are you ready for your miracle? Sit back because its a comin! Love you! Mel
Shannon,
I've also heard lots about you from Amanda. And I read your adoption profile from an email that Amanda sent me. You and your husband seem like such a great couple. I'm so glad that you decided to start blogging and I am so happy for you that you are so close to getting a baby. I will keep you in my prayers that everything will work out wonderfully. I can't wait to hear more of your stories!
God Bless, Rachel
I heard about you through Melissa and read your profile several weeks ago. What an amazing couple you both are and my what God holds for you. I am so anxious to continue reading about this amazing baby God has saved just for the two of you. God bless you both!
I found your blog through Amanda (who I found randomly but we know some of the same people).
Anyway - I look forward to reading your adoption story and I pray it all works out for you. We've been trying for a couple of years so I know a little bit of what you have been through and I know hard it is but hopefully VERY soon you will have a beautiful baby in your arms!
I'm glad you have your faith to help you get through this! God will bless you!
Shannon and Michael,
Like several others, I jumped over from Melissa's blog. I had to bust out laughing when I saw you are a sales rep for a TOY company. Man, that's like every kids dream come true... toys!
I wish you and your husband all the best. Our prayers are with you.
Post a Comment