Yes, I think we might be. This is the question I've been asking myself since Monday. Seriously, our we Nuts-o?
This could be a HUGE long story, so I'll try and abbreviate it a bit. Monday we got a call from a girl at church who has been a mentor to a local drug and rehab place near where we live. She said, I know of a BM who wants to talk to you about adopting her baby. So we meet...yes, that day. Michael and I go up there with really no expectations. Just wanted to get info, and see what the deal was. She walks up to greet us and she Hispanic. It was kind of ironic and I know we were both thinking the same thing-wow...she's Hispanic. Awesome! If I haven't made it clear, the little boy we are adopting is Hispanic as well. Back to my drama...we sit down to talk to her and we ask her lots of questions--about her, about her life, what she wants, etc. We found out she's 30 years old, this is her 5th child, her other 4 kids are in foster homes and she's in rehab for doing meth. We also found out that she's due October 18th and it's a little GIRL! She has seen the dr. since she got into the rehab facility and has been clean since June..our estimates are that she did meth for about 4 months of the babies life-super scary. Her doctor told her that the baby is doing well and right now the only problem is that she's alot tinier than normal. She has another dr's appt on Sept 17th and they will do an ultrasound again to check this little one out. She tells us that she's ready to make a decision and doesn't want to look at other families. I told her that I would call her Friday-tomorrow-and see how she's feeling and if she still wants to proceed.
SO-from this we go home and our minds are racing. We are most worried about the health of the baby and what the effects could be. I called as many people as I could between Monday and Tuesday to ask their opinion...dr's, nurses, foster specialist, our family, an elder at our church and even an attorney. We were told by the medical people that learning disabilities as well as hyper activity seems to be the most likely as well as how small she'll be at birth...nothing that we can't overcome. I guess there's not a lot of studies that have been done relating to meth during the pregnancy since meth is a relatively new drug.
Okay-so right now we are thinking that we will take her....yes and we will take him too! Now you know why I ask if we are crazy! They will be approximately 2 months apart.
The other super scary part is that we don't want to tell either BM's what's going on-especially Ester. I hate that but I don't want Ester to change her mind and by telling her, we're giving her a possibility to doubt her decision.
Again, I ask for your fervent prayers. Please pray that we will make the right decision--whatever that may be--for our family. Pray for both babies and BM-the little girls BM's name is Myra.
Love to all...
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Are we crazy?
Posted by Shannon at 10:48 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! What a blessing 2 babies would be! We will be praying for you guys and the birth mothers! You two wil make wonderful parents!
This is such a blessing for you and Michael! We have faith that both of you will make the right decision for your family. We are praying for you!
Matt and Kristi
Oh my word! Girl, I am ecstatic!!! You need to talk to Cammy Jo- Abby's BM was on meth and Abby hasn't really had any problems. GOD IS GOOD, Shannon! I KNEW he had a plan for you two. I love you so much and will keep you in my prayers. Please call anytime!
Shannon,
Whoa! This is really something. I have believed all along that God has something special in mind for you and Michael. I am praying for you both as you make a decision based on faith in the one who made both of these precious souls and who loves you AND these tiny ones.
Jeanine
I have been following your blog for some time. I am not really sure how I found out about it. (I went to HU) I don''t think you are crazy...I think it is wonderful!
Post a Comment